26 May 2010

Monsters Are Dunzo!


I can now successfully say that "Sleeping Monsters" is officially done! I have just completed the cover, after a few sketch revision stages. I am pretty excited, as always, to have a picture book sent off into the hands of the crew that makes the book officially come alive. Candlewick is located close by, so I took the ceremonious car ride to drop off all of the art. I've only shipped two books via FedEx, and my heart was in my nose the whole night it was traveling. Not a comfortable feeling!



Typically when painting for such long hours, I do what I was taught not to do. I watch ALOT of movies. Actually... scratch that. I listen to a lot of movies. Here's a shortlsit of what
Things watched during this books creation:

Prison Break 1, Prison Break 2, IT Crowd 1, IT Crowd 2, Arrested Development 1, This American Life (at least 20 recordings), Fargo, The Wire 3, The Office (UK edition), Children of Paradise, Paulie, Noises Off!, Mystic River, Network, Pepe le Moko, Raise the Red Lantern, The Wrestler, Kikujiro, The Fountain, Le Quai des Brumes, The Greatest Show on Earth, Mincorcosms, Little Dorrit, The Big Lebowski, a recap of Lost season 1, Helvetica, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Reign of Fire, Driving Miss Daisy, Julie and Julia, Deadliest Catch Season 2, Awakenings, One Crazy Summer, The Right Stuff... and you know what, I will stop right there. It's getting a little silly.

Thank goodness for Netflix!


7 comments:

Nina Crittenden said...

Outstanding!!!! Hooray! When will it be published? How did your cat resist sitting on all that lovely paper? Oh, and Raise the Red Lantern is a great film!

woody said...

I'm just waiting for that cat to walk all over those paintings. Seriously, my cat LOVES to "help out", no way I could get a pic like that without a few pawprints...

This looks so awesome, can't wait to see the book!!

kelmurphy said...

Thanks Nina! I think it will be out sometime next year. Not too sure yet. And Woody... she indeed did walk across every picture. She drives me CrAzY!

Laura Zarrin said...

Gorgeous & fun! Can't wait to see the final!!! I, too, am saved by Netflix. Watching a lot of play instantly to keep my butt in the chair.

Kristin said...

Oh my word. Those are amazing. Beautiful. Can't wait to read.

Z-Kids said...

I love seeing the spreads ... uh,spread... all out like that!

- AZ

anne said...

we REALLY love it over here @ CP!!!
great job Kelly : )