31 January 2011

Rogue Ales: Yellow Snow IPA


FINALLY! A chance to prove my parents wrong. I CAN have yellow snow, and like it! Actually, that's really gross and you should never eat yellow snow. Any color snow in fact.

BUT, let me share the joy that Rogue Ales Yellow Snow has provided me this winter! Like most IPA's, a light kick upon first taste that then improves with each sip. I was introduced to this little fella not too long ago and order it whenever I hear its name. Let me give you some more info!

Rogue Ales is an American craft brewery founded in 1988 in Ashland, Oregon. The following year the company opened their second brewpub in Newport, Oregon where they are now headquartered. They operate brewpubs in Oregon, Washington, and California. Rogue exports throughout the US and internationally. Rogue Ales have been described as "invariably fun and full flavored".The company has also expanded into distilling as well, with micro distilleries in Newport and Portland.

CEO Jack Joyce has described the company's goals as, "We try to do four things - keep making great product, keep trying to make our packaging great, keep trying to integrate ourselves in our communities, and keep creating unique thunder (in promotions)...". Rogue maintains a company manifesto that expands on their values. The company gives back to its community in a variety of ways, for example helping the City of Newport celebrate its 125th anniversary with the issue of a limited edition Newport Anniversary Ale, whose historical label pays tribute to the Yaquina Brewery, Newport's first. Rogue also donates ongoing proceeds of a specialty brew series to the Oregon Coast Aquarium (past beers have included Spiny Lumpsucker Ale, Wolf Eel Ale, Shark Tooth Ale and Sea Otter Amber). One (Whale Ale) was even crafted in honor of Keiko, the orca, the Aquariums most celebrated resident and star of the movie Free Willy before his release into open waters. Heh heh... I love Free Willy Yo Mama jokes. In addition there are ongoing sponsored activities like the annual surfing event "The Gathering Longboard Classic" on Newport's South Beach.

I love that on their website, they have spec cards for each beer. Here's Yellow Snow's!

They also list that Yellow Snow IPA was originally introduced for the 2000 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. It is Rogue’s tribute to winter sports everywhere—downhill skiing, snowboarding, cross country, ice hockey, ice fishing, snowmobiling, and even curling. I might add that it's a chance for timid rebels like myself to go against those tried and true warning my parents gave me about my affection for snow. Take that! And getch yoself a pint of the Yellow Snow when you hear it on tap. You'll love the zing!

Ps.) With all that Oregon talk, it totally remind me of this:

You can put a bird on anything, and call it ART!

No comments: